Adolfo Callegari, pittore e archeologo
Adolfo Callegari (Padua 1882 - Arquà Petrarca 1948) painted throughout the course of his life, but devoted himself entirely to painting from 1906 until 1921. In the early twenties he became director of the National Atestino Museum and since then he dedicated his free time to painting. He graduated in law in 1906, he then studied at the Free School of Nude in Venice and at the Academy of Monaco. He began to exhibit at Ca’ Pesaro in 1912. In 1913 he displayed three oil paintings, Interior and two portraits, one of which, Portrait of Mr. Tasinato, was reproduced in the catalog, and three watercolours: Petrarca’s Grave, Impression, Venetian Woman. On that occasion Gino Damerini wrote: “Among the figure painters, Callegari of Padua returned to Palazzo Pesaro with its interiors of deep intimacy and high poetry and with fresh watercolors”. For a long time he remained in contact with friends of Ca’ Pesaro with whom he shared his battles, in particular with Cadorin and Gino Rossi, and with Casorati and Cavaglieri, known since the Academic years.